There has been a huge swing towards extreme Right-wing policies in Europe and the USA. We have the re-emergence of the Ku Klux Klan and White supremacists, heartened by the election of Trump, we have the resurgence of Fascist parties in France, Austria and Holland and left-wing/centralist governments being under threat from right-wing groups, emboldened by the potential break-up of the EU. In Britain we have had Brexit and now have the most right-wing government since Thatcher. Labour is trailing 20 points behind in the polls. Things look dire.
So what has gone wrong for the whole dream of equality and liberalisation? Is it over? What about empathy, compassion and equality?
Well if we are going to get back to a compassionate liberal society we have to look at the reasons why people have turned to fascists like Trump and believed the lies of Boris, Gove and May. Things have not been right. Mistakes have been made. The establishment has been complacent and has not addressed the underlying issues.
Here are some of the major issues that I believe should have been addressed and dealt with:
- The wars in the Middle East which have resulted in mass migrations of population and sparked fundamentalism and terrorism. (carried out ineptly and without thought to any future outcomes).
- Handling the mass migration with compassion and sensible policy so that there was not a huge influx of predominantly Muslims into Europe.
- Mass migration of Eastern Europeans into Britain and other more affluent countries as cheap labour.
- Globalisation and the loss manufacturing jobs to third world countries with cheap labour and costs.
- Automation requiring less skilled and unskilled workers.
- The working class loss of high-paid skilled jobs in the likes of steel, shipbuilding, mining, car production and their replacement with low paying jobs stacking shelves or unemployment. (Loss of income and self-respect).
- The influx of cheap goods from abroad (China and third world) on an uncompetitive market putting home manufacturers out of work.
- The corruption of MPs who have lost all respect with the public and are seen as just feathering their own nests.
- The vast inequality with the establishment imposing austerity on everyone in the lower strata while increasing their own pay and bonuses.
A great swathe of the public in Britain and the USA feel completely abandoned and disenfranchised. They can see no party representing them or saying that they will address these issues – so they vote for Trump, Brexit and fascists.
If we are going to get back on track these problems need addressing. They are complex and there are no simple answers but there are answers and they are not the vicious, divisive ones put forward by Trump or the economically damaging solution offered by Brexit.
War, mass migration and inequality need dealing with. Fundamentalism needs wiping out. The working class need valuing, given well-paid jobs and retrained in worthy careers. The old industries need replacing with non-polluting new industries.
Instead of funnelling all the money into profits for the extremely wealthy and bonuses for the overpaid why not funnel the money into public services and employ more nurses, doctors, teachers, teacher’s aides, social workers, counsellors and the like – reduce their hours and make the job doable – invest in the future – look after people properly – and make people happier. Increase pay, reduce hours, reduce class sizes, reduce waiting times, improve help for the elderly and ill – retrain the unemployed and displaced to do valuable, well-paid jobs that make people’s lives better. Invest in infrastructure to improve roads, rail and housing. Invest in Green technology.
There are plenty of uses for the money that would be preferable other than stuffing it in the bank accounts of a small elite to spend on yachts, penthouses and champagne.
Instead of ignoring the war and mass migration why not use the UN to put pressure on regimes, use soft and hard power, and fund it properly to do the job? Put a stop to people being driven out of their homes by slaughter, put the displaced in proper temporary housing, bring in policies to prevent overpopulation and provide work. Why not educate and give hope?
We are picking up the tab for a corrupt system where the establishment has looked after its own, sought to profit out of war, poverty and inequality and prefers division, chaos and war to peace, order and stability. They make more money out of it.
I think there is only so much that people will take. In the end they lose their cool and either riot or elect fascists!
The establishment stinks. Its greed, selfishness and lack of compassion is its downfall. Meanwhile we suffer with Trump, Brexit and May! We are swapping one stinking system for an alternative that is far worse! Fascism, as history demonstrates time and time again, always holds out bright hope and solutions, and always ends in pain and horror!
What fools we are!