Forgot the title
How times have changed. I was listening on the radio today as a student was explaining how they left college after their three year course owing £50,000 – £60,000.
That’s a lot of money hanging around your neck to start life with.
It set me thinking.
I left college after my three year degree in London owing nothing.
There are a number of reasons for this.
- We did not have any tuition fees
- We received a grant (back in 1971 it was £333 a year – it wasn’t huge – would be worth around 4 thousand these days)
- We worked a lot of the holidays to earn enough to supplement that grant
- Our parents helped out with food provisions and petrol money
- We lived incredibly frugally in conditions that few people would tolerate and rents were cheap.
In my second year at college I spent the first three…
View original post 449 more words